According to tradition, we will welcome 2012 with the Gullah good luck charm of rice with pea gravy and greens, continuing hundreds of years this humble combination of slave kitchen staples has graced New Year’s tables in the Carolina Lowcountry and throughout the South.
The New Year’s Eve dinner is an extravagance fitting of the finest Southern homes and in the great traditions of Creole and Planter’s gastronomy. To offer or enjoy such luxurious cooking and hospitality has always been a hallmark of peace, reconciliation, and good will, all of which we wish each of you during 2012.
We hope you can join us for what promises to be a very special evening.
Saturday December 31, 2011 — 5 pm—12 am
Table d’hôte, choose one per course
A Gullah Good Luck Charm
- Sea Island Red Pea “Cappuccino” puffed Carolina gold rice, parched collard greens, and bacon froth
- Carolina Gold Rice Risotto with cauliflower puree, leeks, and winter truffles
- Crispy Fried Amelia Island Rock Shrimp with creamy grits, tasso beurre monte, and piccalilli
- Sarah Rutledge’s Rice Philpy, 1847 with sourwood honey, goose cracklin’s, and house churned cultured butter
- Caveny Farm Goose & House Chaurice Gumbo with Arkansas Delta aromatic rice
- Turtle Soup with Amontillado, pickled quail eggs, and scallions
- Local Baby Lettuce Salad with hearts of palm, satsuma, candied peanut, & black benne vinaigrette
- Dry aged Slagel Farm Ribeye with butter-poached Louisiana white shrimp, fingerling potatoes, creamed spinach, marchand-du-vin
- Lowcountry Bouillabaisse with Maine lobster, Stone crab claw, Carolina wreckfish, mussels, clams, Creole rouille, Parmesan toast, and chervil
- Winter Vegetable Pot-au-feu with salsify, baby carrots, endive, celeriac, egg noodles, and porcini royale
- Bourbon Chocolate Beignets with frozen cherries and preserved pears, mint, & bourbon hot chocolate
- Coconut Cream Cake with butter roux crème fraiche icing, pineapple conserves, and bitter chocolate
- Meyer Lemon & Yuzu Pie in butter cookie crust, with rum caramel and toasted almond marshmallow
Sixty-five dollars per person
Optional Wine Flight Pairings TBD
Thirty Dollars Per Person